Admin Privileges

in General Suggestions Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:58 am
by ishanarora Leecher of Newerth | 2 Posts

Hi,

I noticed hon.exe and loader.exe both require admin privileges. I believe this was intended in original HoN for auto update functionality. It would be great if you could remove the admin privileges requirement. This way we can play even where we don't have admin privileges. I believe changing the information in the manifest embedded in the exe will do the trick, but I dont know how its done. Not much of a windows programmer :)
Thanks.

EDIT: This may help but it requires Visual Studio (Express Edition didnt work for me). http://www.davidlenihan.com/2007/07/winsxs.html

Last edited Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:06 pm | Scroll up

RE: Admin Privileges

in General Suggestions Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am
by Sordit Admin of Newerth | 475 Posts

Zitat von ishanarora
Hi,

I noticed hon.exe and loader.exe both require admin privileges. I believe this was intended in original HoN for auto update functionality. It would be great if you could remove the admin privileges requirement. This way we can play even where we don't have admin privileges. I believe changing the information in the manifest embedded in the exe will do the trick, but I dont know how its done. Not much of a windows programmer :)
Thanks.

EDIT: This may help but it requires Visual Studio (Express Edition didnt work for me). http://www.davidlenihan.com/2007/07/winsxs.html

If I chould change the game this way...don´t you think I whould just enable LAN-Play in a newer Version of the game? xD

Scroll up

in General Suggestions Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:01 pm
by ishanarora Leecher of Newerth | 2 Posts

Hi again,

I understand your situation, but I think changing admin privileges a superficial change in the exe. I am not asking you to change any code. I think using the given guide anyone with access to Visual Studio could make the change. Thanks for the work so far :)

Scroll up

in General Suggestions Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 am
by -}Z{- Artist of Newerth | 372 Posts

i have no clue what you goin on about

we all play fine dude???

Scroll up

in General Suggestions Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Zitat von -}Z{-
i have no clue what you goin on about

we all play fine dude???

He wanna play on a computer not owned by himself. Like on a Campus or something like that. Its the only reason why I want it to work without admin privilegies.

Scroll up

in General Suggestions Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 pm
by .GL. Coder of Newerth | 240 Posts

Btw. It actually works without admin priveliges. I played with "power user" profile quite a few times.

Scroll up

in General Suggestions Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Zitat von .GL.
Btw. It actually works without admin priveliges. I played with "power user" profile quite a few times.

I don´t know what HoN should do to need admin. But if he wanna play on a machine with windows steady state for example it can be that you can´t execute programs not unlocked by the admin. Changing rights does not chance anything in this case.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 770 topics and 5923 posts.